By Steve Turner, Solomon/Turner Multimedia Public Relations
Video is one of the hottest marketing and public relations trends.
The visual medium presents a huge opportunity to build brand, generate more web hits and add credibility to any marketing or public relations campaign.
In fact it has become a must-have part of the marketing toolbox for 2014. Here’s why…
1. Video is a great match for the growing need for short, “snackable” information. The growing use of mobile devices is creating a demand for messages that are brief, informative and entertaining. According to Pew Internet research¹, as of May 2013, 51% of U.S. adults owned a smartphone. In addition, as of September 2013, 35% of Americans age 16 and older owned a tablet computer. That number is expected to rise, providing marketers an excellent opportunity to tailor messages easily consumed by the mobile marketplace. Nothing works better for that than video.
2. Video helps elevate your company on search engines making it easier to find potential customers. Many companies create videos and post them solely on their website. However, that should be just the beginning of your video marketing. For example, YouTube² boasts some 1 billion user visits each month and six billion hours of video are watched every 30 days. According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more U.S. adults, age 18-34, than any cable network. The growth of YouTube has essentially made it the #2 “search engine” after Google. And, by the way, Google owns You Tube. Therefore each video should be posted on YouTube. In addition, other video sites such as Daily Motion and Veho offer opportunities to post videos and increase viewership. These sites also offer analytics to make your efforts measurable against your targeted audience.
3. Video is ideal for connecting with your customers through social media. LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other social sites provide an outstanding opportunity for businesses to connect with clients and prospects by linking videos to their posts. The links provide an easy way for clients to view your content. As viewership increases so will the elevation of your brand as you generate more website hits.
4. Video helps increase open rates with email newsletters. Studies have shown that placing videos within email newsletters helps to increase open rates by as much as 60 percent. Clients and prospects are more inclined to watch a video than read an elongated report or whitepaper. The use of video should be a key part of any email newsletter strategy.
5. Video humanizes your company and makes it real. The use of video can showcase your company and tell your story in a whole new way. The video can include photos of your company history, footage of your current facility, interviews with executives and staff, and even testimonials from customers. You can add music and other production techniques. The goal is to create an emotional bond between your firm and your client as only a video can.
Steve Turner is a Principal with Solomon/Turner Multimedia PR, a St. Louis public relations firm offering media relations as well as video, audio, PowerPoint marketing, and digital marketing. The firm was founded in 1990 and works with clients on a national and local basis. Steve’s blog is http://www.solomonturner.blogspot.com. The website is http://www.solomonturner.com. He can be reached by email at email@example.com and by phone at 314-205-0800.
Interested in submitting a guest post to IABC St. Louis? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for Blogger Guidelines.